Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chapter Five and Final!

This isn't the final chapter of the book, but it IS the last chapter of the book that I will be posting here. After all, I can't reveal too much to the general public! However, if you've become addicted to the story of Thaila and her assainations, you can request to be added to the BSRJ e-mail list and recieve chapters as I finish them.

If you want to be added, comment here or text me with your email address. I will gladly keep you updated on the story!

Anyways, here it is! Enjoy, my darlings.

CHAPTER 5


It’s frigid and smooth in the palm of my hand, giving it a stiff, regal aura. I let my fingertips lightly glide over its surface, striving not to touch the gleaming golden trigger. 
“She’s quite the upscale shooter, and elderly at that. However, she’ll serve you very well on this consequential mission.” Master says slowly as I admire the gun.
 I don’t have any idea what kind it is, but the silver and gold plating on its body mislays my breath each time I look. 
“Who would get such an honor of falling this way?” I ask, my voice quivering in the shock that Master trusts me with his most valuable weapon. 
I hear a few clicks, just like always, and a woman’s face appears on the screen. She looks to be in her thirties, with an oval-shaped face and wide smile to match. Her shoulder-length blonde hangs in waves and her green eyes are sparkling wildly. She appears to be an optimist, one of those types who always finds a diamond ring in the cesspool of life. I snarl slightly. 
“Olvida Jackson.” Master tells me. “She works as a nurse at our sweet Mercola hospital. I believe you can take the honors from here.” 
Still in awe of the gun’s glisten, I slide it into the pocket of my large blue jacket. 
“Indeed, I shall make it a fantastic kill.” I reply darkly, turning on the heel of my sneakers and heading briskly for the door. 
The sunlight blinds my eyes as I step outside. It’s a horrible day to kill, with the world so bright and cheery, spring coming in just around the corner. There is always that gruesome possibility that an innocent eye may oversee the fall of Olvida Jackson. I’ll just have to play carefully, a skill that I am well inculcated in. 
As I saunter through the streets of an average weekend morning, thoughts about Winston Toll and my past begin to cross my mind. I struggle to repress them, but something about the name of the hospital tastes bitter on my tongue. I can’t seem to put my finger on it, so I break into a run, hoping that the whistling of breezy air in my head will point my erratic head in another direction. 
Within a few minutes, a fairly tall building with a tan exterior bearing “Mercola Hospital” in giant red letters comes into my peripheral. My feet shuffle to a stop, my breath coming out in short gasps. The instant that I stop, the glass double doors of the hospital slide open for a shorter woman, walking out slowly and trying to stack the papers in her hands. When she looks upward towards the sky, the sun catches a glint on her green eyes. 
It’s Olvida. 
I walk quickly towards her, letting my shortened breath take over my speech. This should be a convincing ploy. 
“Miss Jackson! Miss Jackson!” I shout, running toward her and waving my hands. “You have to help me!” 
She stops and looks up, concern spreading across her face like an iceberg freezing. 
“What’s the matter?” She quickly stammers. 
“I think that my parents may be...may be...” 
“What? What is it?” 
I grab her arm and try to pull her towards the side of the building. She doesn’t object, quickly running after me as my feet hit the small rocks in the area beside the heating system. Stopping quickly, I turn to face her, trying to keep a look of panic etched on my face. 
“Would you mind telling me what the matter is?” Olvida gasps, raising her hand to push a few strands of moist hair behind her ear. 
“The matter?” I say in a growling whisper, reaching for the gun in my pocket. “That simple matter is your life.” 
Her eyes grow to giant ovals as she stares down into the black hole of the barrel. My finger rests itself slightly beside the beautiful trigger, waiting for the click that will mean the world to me and my potential in Master’s eyes. 
“No! No no no!” She screams, dropping her papers by her typical white nurse shoes. She doesn’t run. Stupid woman. 
I narrow my eyes slightly, making sure that my aim is exemplary as to not waste these bullets I have been honored with. 
“Wait! Stop! I remember you! You...you had purple eyes.” Olvida shrieks, her hands in front of her face. 
I stop, lowering the gun just slightly. Her hands drop to her sides and she exhales in relief, still trembling as she continues to speak. 
“I remember your parents staying here, only fourteen years ago. They had...multiple wounds. It was a ghastly sight, I remember. I was interning here then, and they warned me not to look. When I peered in the window, I saw them breathing their last breath. There was a little girl curled up in the corner, crying. She stood up and ran from the room, outside into the darkness.” 
Now I’m shaking. I lower the gun to my hip, still keeping both hands wrapped around it. Olvida continues talking, faster now, spewing information as her lifeline. 
“The next day, we found the girl outside in the grass, just crying and crying. We brought her inside and tried to hide her from their bodies. Only an hour later, a boy in a dark hood came in to take her. He said he was her godfather, and he had the signatures on paper to prove it. She went away with him, and we just never heard from her again. She had purple eyes, gleaming with hatred for the world. I just...can’t help but remember how sad it was.” 
She looks up at me, pleading sadness in her eyes. I look down at my shaking fingers again, my mouth open in shock. 
No, Thaila. I tell myself. You’re stronger than this. 
Closing my eyes, I whip the gun upwards, aiming it right for her lab-coat-covered heart. 
“You don’t know me. Not a soul who breathes knows who I am and what happened to me when I was a little girl.” I snap. The trigger clicks back. 
“No!” Olvida screams. “Stop! I know where they’re buried! I can help you!” 
“Nothing can help me.” I tell her sternly, shaking my head at her incompetence. 
She chants more nonsense about me, things she says she’s seen. Closing my eyes, I release the trigger. A scream echoes all around the building, bouncing off the sky and raining back down on me, causing me to fall to my knees beside Olvida Jackson’s dead body. My hands grip the rocks beneath me, coating my hands with dust. 
She knew me. She had to know who I was. She knew who they were. 
“Olvida? Are you out here?” A deep voice screams as I hear the doors slide open once more. I seize the gun, scramble to my feet, and dash around the backside of the building. 
Ghosts from the past haunt with a chill
unless we simply change to kill.
Not a soul knows me, this I am sure
for I am no longer that sad little girl
who cried in the night but was saved by the day
when a young boy came to take her away. 

No comments: