Friday, May 14, 2010

Chapter 6

Here is Chapter 6!

Book 1
Hayden
Chapter 6
“That was harsh.” Alison said as Bella left. “Wow, you were really and truly paying attention?” I gasped. She nodded. “I can still hear when I’m reading.” She smiled. “What was that something Bella was talking about?” “Oh, she BADLY wants Ben to find out about the Acts of Ben.” I told Alison as we exited the gym. “Why? Ben doesn’t even care about what he did last month.” She shrugged. In homeroom, Eliza sat furiously scribbling with a pen over her packet. “Can I see somebody’s answers?” She panicked, her blue eyes wide. Brenda looked up, picking at a book’s page with her fingernail. “Waited until the last minute, as usual?” I asked Eliza. She nodded. Brenda, without a word, tossed her packet Eliza’s way. “The random silence...” Bella said with a nod to Brenda. Mrs. Regan looked my way. “Hayden.” She motioned with her hand. I stood up and walked to her desk, black flats clicking on the floor like tap shoes. “You’re writing a novel, eh?” I nodded, pushing a strand of curly blonde hair behind my ear. “Let’s just say a little bird told me...” I looked around the room, wondering who would have given me away. Not that I minded; Mrs. Regan could know some publishers. “Would you like to read it?” I asked her. “Oh, yes. I would love to!” She clasped her small hands together and smiled a wide-tooth grin. “I’ll e-mail you a copy when I get home.” I smiled, sitting back down. “Glory, glory.” Bella grumbled under her breath. She took a small picture of Ben out of her binder and stuffed it back in. As I left the room to open my locker, my sweaty hands slipped all over the lock. I grumbled, “Great.” And took my last resort out of my pocket: a rubber surgical glove. Right as I slipped it over my hands, Justin strode to his locker and dropped his stuff on the floor. “Uh...” He stammered, looking at it. “Are you trying to be Michael Jackson or something?” I stammered a weak laugh. “No.” I coughed as he left. I shook my head. My crush-talking skills were pitiful. “Hey, it’s okay, Den. He’s so easygoing, anyone could talk to him.” Ben called as he passed by. “You still don’t get it, right? Tall and shy doesn’t mix with short.” I held up my hands for emphasis. “Just keep trying. You never know.” He said, walking away. “Thanks, Ben.” I muttered to myself. If he was right, I could simply hand Justin a copy of my novel when it was done. Then, he would read it, see that he was in the dedication, and read the scene with our characters kissing on the rooftop. Then, he could...well, that was only a dream. Dusty wanted him, so why not let her have him?

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

NO!!!!! DUSTY MUST NOT WIN!!!!! :) I can't hear when I'm reading apparently, because Kylie had to scream at me from across the lunch table the other day to get me to look up!