Saturday, May 08, 2010

Twenty-five pages KICK START!!!

This is a start to my newest novel, Twenty-five pages. This is prolouge and Book 1, Chapter 1

Twenty-five Pages

Twenty-five pages was all it took to change everyone’s lives forever. Slim, typical pages telling a story of a girl’s life were given to various people and had its effect everyone’s life. Twenty-five pages, each read through, talked about, cried over, pondered over, and enjoyed by ten people. The story of the story will live forever. The points of view from the shy writer, the annoying friend, the tough girl with a soft inside, the avid reader, the girl who just doesn’t care, the tall rocker, the ideal dork, the lonely reader, the sweet English teacher, and the distant old friend will be forever remembered.

Book 1
Hayden
Chapter 1


I was always the writer, the quiet writer. Over the summer that I turned fourteen, I was badly injured emotionally. Months later, still scared, I began my book that was intended to be completely about that experience. My plans for the book branched out into my life, fictional and true events included in this. The entire time over the course of the book, I worried about what my friends would think. Of course, they were in this book, too. Some of the things I said weren’t so good, either. I gnawed off my nails with nearly every chapter. “Yep, you’re so dead.” My friend Bella laughed at me when I told her about the book. She twirled her strawberry blonde hair around her fingers and opened her lipstick covered mouth wide. Lately, Bella had been trying too hard to get a man in her life. She coated herself in makeup and ruined her appearance; her obsessive nature didn’t help either. Her crush and good friend of mine, Ben, had pushed himself as far away from her as he could. His brown eyes would widen with fright against his pale skin whenever her name was mentioned. Eliza, our friend who didn’t care about much, leaned back in her chair and put her hands behind her straight black hair. Her blue eyes closed with sleep and she nodded her dark-skinned head at us. “What?” She called from this sleeping position. “Hayden’s writing a book, and it’s gonna ruin her life.” Bella called. “Wonderful.” Eliza muttered, barely moving. My friend Derricka, the tough chick, thought it was a good idea. When I brought it up in PE, her curly brown hair nodded as she agreed. “I’m all about someone being themselves. Look at me! I’m tough as I want, I go by Dream, and I don’t care who says what.” She then promptly turned and left into the gym. Alison, dark hair tied in a ponytail, scuttled after us. Her blue thin wire glasses were perched on the tip of her dark nose as she walked slowly and read at the same time. Alison was a very avid reader, always with a book in her hands. Ben waved from across the gym as we began running. “Ooh, another book!” Alison crooned. “I’m sure you’re halfway through the school library now.” Dream(Derricka) replied. “No, about a quarter. High school libraries are pretty awesome and large.” Alison reminded, trying to run while reading her book. Being a Freshman like the rest of us, Alison was astounded at how many more books there were compared to middle school libraries. After the class, I took some notes on the day’s events for use in my story. Across the room, Justin sat. Justin, with swayed brown hair, glasses, a perfect personality, and an amazing smile, was the ideal nerd. So, of course, he was my crush. He also had a starring role in my book, an added worry to my publishing stress. “Staring at him again?” Bella asked in a snide tone. “Oh, like you aren’t staring at Ben.” I replied, angry. “No! I am over Ben!” She said matter-of-factly. This happened on and off every few weeks, which guys she liked and which she didn’t. I drew a swirl up the left side of my paper, smiling. “What are you writing about me?” Bella panicked. I laughed. Really, I didn’t want Bella as my friend for much longer.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Ouch! Poor Bella! Is this story going to be twenty-five pages? Or is that just Hayden's thing? Small books can have huge impacts! Read Night by Elie Weisel and you'll get my point

P.S. Do not read Night if you are afraid of becoming severely depressed!

Rebekah Paramore said...

No, that's just how long Hayden's story is.

Kelsey said...

OHHHHHH!! Okay, I understand now. Seriously, though, read Night